People ages 60 and up are at higher risk of novel coronavirus infection. Symptoms include fever, dry cough and difficulty breathing, and it’s primarily spread between people. Here’s how older adults can prepare and protect themselves from the novel coronavirus. This guidance comes from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Drs. Carla Perissinotto and Samir Sinha, both geriatricians.
Note: Recommendations for Covid-19 may change as officials learn more, so monitor your local health department and the CDC for updates.
- Cancel non-essential doctor’s appointments
- Schedule telehealth sessions for appointments you can’t miss
- Designate an emergency contact
- Wash your hands frequently (scrub for 20 seconds with soap and water)
- Use hand sanitizer when soap isn’t available